Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Caterpillars...Butterflies...sent from above!





Butterfly coloring page



This is a really fun project to do with your little one to get us through these last few weeks of summer. Witness the wonder of the butterfly life-cycle. It is so much fun to have your little one, watch the caterpillars transition as it grows, changes into a chrysalis, and finally emerges into a beautiful butterfly. It usually takes about 3 weeks to become a butterfly, and you store inside and the release butterfly outside.




To get started:

1. You will need, your larvae, and a mason jar.
2. You can have your little one decorate the mason jar while you wait for the little insect to come.
3. For the lid, you can use a very breathable fabric to allow circulation.
**Order your little future butterfly at Insect Lore: Click on Insect Lore.

Here is also a great video on this experience you can share with your little one:


Here are some pics from our experience.


Caterpillar in her cocoon.





It hatched!




Hatched, but hasn't opened her wings yet!


Finally...a Beautiful Butterfly!





 














So much fun, we are thinking about doing it again! Hope you are having a great summer.

| Your Desert Momma |

On a personal note: My daughter recently brought her little larvae home from class this summer. We had so much fun checking on it everyday. We stored it in our laundry cabinet, and everyday she would go, "Moma...buga" and go to the laundry to see how the caterpillar changed. Then on June 26th my grandmother suffered a severe stroke, and was unresponsive in the hospital. My family and I, hopped on a plane to be by her side as she prepare to rest in peace. On June 30th, my grandmother became our angel from above and went to heaven. On that same day, my daughter's butterfly hatched at our home. I believe in my heart that my daughter's "GG" to come and say "hello" to her in the way of the butterfly. So now, every time my daughter and I see a butterfly, I know and say, that "GG's" with us.
If you would like to read more on how butterflies connected to my family, during death...you can visit my personal blog http://toggwithlove.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/butterfly/
This was dedicated to my Grandmother and GG, Melba. We will always love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment